OOTB's Guide to Rush 2019!
This page will provide you with everything you need to know about rushing Out of the Blue. We can't wait to meet you and hear you sing! This page is going to be updated throughout the summer, but in the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Head Rush Manager, Minh, at email@example.com or (609)-334-9538.
Performances: There are three opportunities for you to hear OOTB Perform: Woolsey Hall Jam, Dwight Hall Jam, and Out of the Blue's Singing Dessert. All three of these events are important, as they will give you a chance to meet OOTB members and get to know our performance style! Dates and locations for all of these performances are listed below.
Auditions: At the end of the Dwight Hall Jam, you’ll be able to sign up for an audition slot. No problem if you aren't able to attend; if you missed sign-ups, contact Minh to rush us! Your audition is super chill and will last about ten minutes that consist of these parts:
1. Warm-ups: Simple vocal exercises with the group to warm up your voice and demonstrate your range.
2. Pitch matching: We will play a short sequence of notes and ask you to sing them back to us.
3. Quartet: You will sing a voice part of your choice for one of our songs ("Jar of Hearts") in a quartet with three current group members. Feel free to bring music with you, but please be familiar with your part before coming to auditions! You can find the score on the back page of the paper you received at Dwight Hall, and audio tracks in the Auditions Packet on this page.
4. Sight-singing: You will be given a few measures of music and about a minute to look over the piece. You will then be asked to sing the excerpt given a starting note and at any tempo you choose. If you don't have formal experience reading music, don't worry; this is totally stress-free and is only one small part of your audition!
5. Solo: You will sing one song of your choosing - past OOTB members have auditioned with songs ranging from country music to Broadway! Your solo can be as short as a verse and a chorus, but whatever you sing, make sure it's something you enjoy! If you love what you're singing, it will come across in the audition room.
Rush Managers: Minh, Stefy, Lourdes, Lekha, Vanessa, and Raymond G. are your Rush team for this upcoming fall. There are so many of us because OOTB was too excited to limit the team. Basically, we're your hype people, so please come to us with any questions, concerns, musings, etc. you might have about the Rush process. Feel free to call us any time of the day or night, any day, at any place - we're always here to help you through Rush and the craziness that is fall semester!
Tap Night: This is the final night of Rush, and the moment when we'll tap the OOTB Tap Class of 2019!
Want to know more? Don't hesitate to ask our Rush Managers, or check out our Rush FAQs!
Out of the Blue is a member of the Yale Singing Group Council (SGC), an umbrella organization that represents 16 undergraduate a cappella groups. The SGC organizes Rush, along with other events throughout the year. More information about rush and a cappella at Yale can be found at www.yalesgc.org
2019 Rush Calendar
Woolsey Hall Jam
Time: August 25th, 10:30pm, Woolsey Hall
Dwight Hall Sign-up Jam
Time: August 27th, 10:30pm, Dwight Hall
Time: August 30th-September 1st Branford TV Room
OOTB Singing Dessert
Time: September 4th, 7-8:15pm Off Broadway Theater
Time: September 7th-8th, Branford TV Room
Rushee Info Session
Time: September 8th
Have a callback with us? This packet contains:
- Quartet sheet music
- Practice MIDI files
- Audio files for OOTB solos
Head Rush Manager
Grace Hopper 2022
Benjamin Franklin 2021
Ezra Stiles 2021