OOTB's Guide to Rush 2021!
This page will provide you with everything you need to know about rushing Out of the Blue. We can't wait to meet you and hear you sing! This page is going to be updated throughout the summer and early fall, but in the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Head Rush Manager, Lourdes, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (718)-640-4341.
Performances: There are two opportunities for you to hear OOTB Perform: SSS Jam and Out of the Blue's Singing Dessert. These events are great for meeting OOTB members and getting to know our performance style! SSS Jam was held at 7pm on Sunday, 9/5/21, and OOTB's Singing Dessert will be in the Grace Hopper College courtyard at 8:15pm on Tuesday, 9/14/21. We regret that Singing Dessert will be an invitation-only performance this year due to Yale College COVID regulations. If you missed SSS Jam, you can access a recording of our performance on YouTube!
Auditions: At the end of SSS Jam, you’ll be able to sign up for an audition slot. No problem if you aren't able to attend; if you missed sign-ups, contact Lourdes to rush us! Auditions and callbacks will take place in the Branford TV Room, accessible through the basement of Branford - look for our Rush table in the Branford Courtyard! Your audition is super relaxed and will last about twelve minutes, consisting of these parts:
1. Warm-ups: Simple vocal exercises with the group to warm up your voice and demonstrate your range.
2. Pitch matching: We will play a short sequence of notes and ask you to sing them back to us.
3. Quartet: You will sing a voice part of your choice for one of our songs ("Jar of Hearts") in a quartet with three current group members. Feel free to bring music with you, but please be familiar with your part before coming to auditions! You can find the score on the back page of the paper you received at SSS and audio tracks in the Auditions Packet on this page.
4. Solo: You will sing one song of your choosing - past OOTB members have auditioned with songs ranging from country music to Broadway! Your solo can be as short as a verse and a chorus, but whatever you sing, make sure it's something you enjoy! If you love what you're singing, it will come across in the audition room.
Rush Managers: Dara, Lekha, Raymond Zhao, and Raymond Gao are your Rush team for this fall. Basically, we're your hype people, so please come to us with any questions, concerns, musings, etc. you might have about the Rush process. Feel free to call us any time of the day or night, any day, at any place - we're always here to help you through Rush and the craziness that is fall semester!
Tap Night: This is the final night of Rush, and the moment when we'll tap the OOTB Tap Class of 2021!
Want to know more? Don't hesitate to ask our Rush Managers, or check out our Rush FAQs!
Out of the Blue is a member of the Yale Singing Group Council (SGC), an umbrella organization that represents 16 undergraduate a cappella groups. The SGC organizes Rush, along with other events throughout the year. More information about rush and a cappella at Yale can be found at www.yalesgc.org
Audition + Callback Packets
Rushing OOTB? Awesome! This Google Drive folder contains:
- Information packets
- Music excerpts to prepare
- Practice MP3 and MIDI files
Head Rush Manager
Grace Hopper 2022
Ezra Stiles 2021