OOTB's Guide to Rush
This page will provide you with everything you need to know about rushing Out of the Blue. We can't wait to hear you sing! If you missed sign-ups, please email Minh at email@example.com to sign up!
Performances: There are three opportunities for you to hear OOTB Perform: Woolsey Hall Jam, Dwight Hall Jam, and Out of the Blue's Singing Dessert. All three of these events are important, as they will give you a chance to meet OOTB members and get to know our performance style! Dates and locations for all of these performances are listed below.
Auditions: At the end of the Dwight Hall Jam, you’ll be able to sign up for an audition slot. Once again, if you missed sign-ups, please email Minh at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up! Auditions and callbacks will take place in the Branford TV Room, accessible through the basement of Branford - look for our Rush table in the Branford Courtyard! Your audition will last about ten minutes and consist of these parts:
1. Warm-ups: Simple vocal exercises with the group to warm up your voice and demonstrate your range.
2. Pitch matching: We will play a short sequence of notes and ask you to sing them back to us.
3. Quartet: You will sing a voice part of your choice for our song "Jar of Hearts" in a quartet with three current group members. Feel free to bring music with you, but please be familiar with your part before coming to auditions! You can find the score on the back page of the paper you received at Dwight Hall, and audio tracks in the Auditions Packet on this page.
4. Solo: You will sing one song of your choosing - past OOTB members have auditioned with songs ranging from country music to Broadway! Your solo can be as short as a verse and a chorus, but whatever you sing, make sure it's something you enjoy! If you love what you're singing, it will come across in the audition room.
Rush Managers: Minh, Evan, Kevin, Maddy, and Hannah are your go-to people for any questions you might have about the rush process. Feel free to call us any time of the day or night - we're here to help you through rush!
Tap Night: This is the final night of Rush, and the moment when we'll tap the OOTB Tap Class of 2018!
Want to know more? Don't hesitate to ask our Rush Managers, or check out the FAQs!
Out of the Blue is a member of the Yale Singing Group Council (SGC), an umbrella organization that represents 16 undergraduate a cappella groups. The SGC organizes rush, along with other events throughout the year. More information about rush and a cappella at Yale can be found at www.yalesgc.com
2018 Rush Calendar
Woolsey Hall Jam
August 26th at 10:30 pm, Woolsey Hall
Rushee Info Session
Dwight Hall Sign-up Jam
August 29th at 10:30 pm, Dwight Hall
September 1st - September 3rd, Branford TV Room
OOTB Singing Dessert
September 7th at 8:30 pm, Off Broadway Theatre
September 8th - September 9th, Branford TV Room
One night in the week of September 10th - September 15th
Have a callback with us? This packet contains:
- Quartet sheet music
- Practice MIDI files
- Audio files for OOTB solos
Grace Hopper 2022
Benjamin Franklin 2021
Ezra Stiles 2021